Friday, September 4, 2009

Lake Wobegon Days




It's Father's Day here on Sunday, so last night I made a card for my Dad (Thursday night cardmaking creativity strikes again). He has been a huge fan of Garrison Keillor and the Lake Wobegon tales for many, many years so I thought perhaps a Wobegon themed card might do the trick. Do you know Lake Wobegon (http://en.wik.org/wiki/Lake_Wobegon)? It's a made-up rural town in Minnesota, peopled by a strange but endearing assortment of characters. So I went with a kind of a cutesy-vintage-small-town thing with the card too. My Fellow Traveler and I went to Minnesota last year and I thought 'I wonder if I'll find anything Wobegon related for Dad...?', not really imagining that I would, or at best thinking I would have to go to the radio station where "A Prairie Home Companion" (the radio serial about Lake Wobegon) is recorded and beg, borrow or steal a pen or a coffee mug or something like that. Imagine my delight when I discovered the Lake Wobegon Store in Minnesota's massive Mall of America! I think I was their best customer that day...

I am also planning to make Dad some yummy-sounding Sherry and Sultana cupcakes so I'll let you know how those go too. I am trying to make rather than buy gifts at the moment, in preparation for Christmas. I'm considering a bit of a one-woman crusade against materialism, actually. Personally I would far prefer something small from the heart than something big from a store. Wish me luck with it! Once the Christmas madness starts, I think it may be a short-lived mission... :)

2 comments:

Pina said...

Oh, we are that far again, thinking of Christmas already...

I am sure your dad will be happy to receive such great presents! :)

Feronia said...

Isn't it scary...it's already September!