Thursday, October 8, 2009

All roads lead to Rome



Lovely days of thrifting have been had of late! Found this gorgeous amber-coloured glass vase this morning. With its ornate handles, it made me think instantly of Ancient Rome and of one of my favourite films of all time, Gladiator. It's not that I am a big fan of Russell Crowe, rather that the story is told on such a vast scale and is so well told that it draws me in every time I watch it. I could just imagine this sitting in Lucilla's (the female protagonist) bedroom (should that be bed chamber? I'm not sure of the more accurate term), its amber tones warmly caught by the flickering candlelit. Unfortunately there are not many good clips of Gladiator on You Tube which are not 1. fight scenes or 2. syrupy love-song clips. So, if you haven't seen the film, this tiny snip might give you an inkling of what I loved about the Roman interiors we did get to see and of what I love about my new vase!

No comments: