Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Out of the midday sun


Image courtesy of http://holidaysiq.com

We are in the middle of an early hot spell at the moment. Since late last week it has been 30 degrees plus and it doesn't look like abating until Sunday at the earliest. Now, I'm going to be honest with you - I hate hot weather. For someone who has lived in Australia from birth, I am no beach-bronzed sun-lover. No. I burn in the sun. I get heat rashes. My hair frizzes. In short, as you can tell, during summer I look and feel an absolute treat. But having just read Jane's entry about winter at http://www.yarnstorm.blogs.com/, I have similarly decided to take a different view of summer. Slip into a bit of a 'colonial' mode, if you will - and I mean this strictly in an aesthetic sense and without the ugly racism, of course. Close the curtains and lower the blinds during the day, thereby subduing the house into darkness. Sit outside in the cool of the evening and read a book. Try to move slowly in the heat. We have just had ceiling fans installed so this should enhance the mood! In other words, I am going to try to work with the season instead of fighting it. Think of me tonight reading A Passage to India in the backyard as the ice cubes clink in my glass!

To get a sense of what I mean, just have a look at the cooling and calming Indian verandah above and also this lovely link: http://decortoadore.blogspot.com/2008/07/british-colonial-design.html

6 comments:

Pina said...

Oh, I agree with Jane! I will try to survive this winter outdoors as much as possible, not to complain over fog, smog, cold, rainy weather... ;) Trees are almost leafless here, and we will see the greens again in half a year. I admit, Emily, I do envy you, just a bit! :)

Feronia said...

I have to admit that never having been through a Northern winter, I don't know quite how bad winter can be...if only I could send some of the warmth your way, Pina!

Wurst Semmel said...

I love Northern winter. I hate Southern summer. I feel for you, Feronia, with your current temps. We had a 39C day a week back and it was awful! At least you don't have the humdity. As soon as I step outside, the carefully straightened hair becomes a frizz ball. Not quite Guy Sebastian but not far off it.

Feronia said...

Ah, a kindred seasonal spirit, Wurst Semmel! I am just glad that I now have long hair which I can tie back. When I had short hair, summer saw me as Guy Sebastian, Elvis Presley and every big-haired disaster in between!

Bodecea said...

Hi Feronia,

I am no fan of great heat, too - about 30 degree is ok when it's dry, but we have often humid summerdays with thunderstorms...

But when I have the time, I love doing siesta.

But we are very lucky with our appartment - it is sunny und light in the winter and cool with not so much sun in the summer! In my working room, there is never more than 25 degree (even not in a summer with 38 outside!)

Best
Bodecea

Feronia said...

Your apartment sounds ideal, Bodecea. Because our house is double-brick, it stays quite cool for a good while too...but once it heats up, it's hard to cool it down.