Monday, June 28, 2010

She wore red velvet

Image from thesouthinmymouth.wordpress.com

I read a couple of American blogs and I have been intrigued for some time by mention of red velvet cake. It sounded so decadent. What could it be? So I googled 'easy red velvet cake' on the weekend and I made one. The result, I have to say, was very, very encouraging. This is the recipe I followed:


1 cake mix (they suggest butter or vanilla cake mix, I went with chocolate)

1 teaspoon vinegar

1 1/3 cups vegetable oil (I used butter)

2 tablespoons cocoa

2 oz. red food colouring

3 eggs


Combine. Bake at 180 degrees celsius for about an hour. It's a very liquid mixture so it takes a while in the oven.


Apparently it is a traditional cake of America's South and it can be made I believe from scratch rather than by using a cake mix. Also, it is usually served with cream cheese frosting but I went with chocolate instead.

No comments: