Thursday, August 5, 2010

Only a house

There is a house being pulled down almost immediately opposite us. The asbestos was (carefully) removed the other day and now there is a big bobcat sort of thing raging around the block pulling down the house itself. I know everything has to change but I always feel a little sad when I see a house being pulled down. Where do all of its memories go? I was talking to my mother the other day about my parents' house which is the only house I lived in while I was growing up. It's the house I went back to when my father collected my mother and I from the hospital when I was born. My parents are thinking about getting something smaller now and I said "But it's our house...you can't sell it!" Mum replied, "But it's only a house." Only a house? I struggle with this idea. The same is true of where my husband and I currently live - my grandparents' old house. Even now, after we've been here five years, every corner has a memory - new memories of us, of course - but also memories of the happy times I had here growing up. I would find it hard to move and see someone else living here. It, like my parents' house, is a part of who I am. What do you think? Do you connect with your surroundings in the same way?

6 comments:

Pina said...

Home is where the heart is. I love my home, but I am not attached to it. And I am almost sure that I will move again. I take with me what is precious. Also memories.

Bodecea said...

I am attached to memories of persons, but not so much to the place they were settled. But this house here is a bit different, maybe because my dad planned and built his by his own. I want to keep it all my live, and I want to run away and start my very own live again, too.

Diana Kennedy said...

I believe that memories do live inside and accompany us wherever you go. Tough I am attached to places, too. The house when I am in Basel I sometimes visit the places where I grew up as a child. And I see the house of course, where now totally different people live in it. All the neighborhood has changed. The whole world I knew from this time has faded away. I think that this is a fundamental experience we all have to deal with. We indeed have to learn to keep the good memories deep inside us.

Feronia said...

@ Pina, Bodecea & Diana -

Thanks for your wisdom :) I may need to step away a bit from the external (i.e. the house) and bring what is special about it into my own heart. Food for thought - thanks :)

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Mummy defnitly connekts wiv playses. Weev livd heer 6 yeers an peepol hav cut down lots ov trees in that time an Mummy misses them an feels sad- a big hedge next dor waz cut down larst week. ALSO now that Granny is livin neer us, we don't get to see the howse at the seaside eny mor an Granny livd thare since 1983 an Mummy livd thare wen she was a teenager. AND the man hoo bort it has cut down all the froot trees that they grew. An that mayde her sad too.

SUmtimes wen Mummy dreems she sees the road she yewst to walk home on wen she was very littol an dreems that she is littol agen. So maybe we can tayke all our speshol playces wiv us in our heds so we can see them in our memories an dreems.

OH! We got a speshol envlope from yu on Friday!!!! THANK YU!!!! Me an Dilly will blog abowt it soon! She is runnin rownd showin off her nekless.

Feronia said...

What a beautiful idea, Bob - that we keep those special places for our memories and dreams :) Where the house has been pulled down over the road, they cut down almost all the trees yesterday :( So glad you liked you package!