Monday, January 10, 2011

Thanks Grandma



My grandma was a prolific knitter and when I was about eight, she knitted me a patchwork blanket. I had forgotten this until fairly recently. I had had it folded up in the bedroom and really didn't pay it much attention. For no reason in particular, about a week ago I suddenly looked at it and thought "I'll give you a wash!" It came up fairly well, although there are a few moth holes in it thanks to my inattention. These can be easily fixed, though. I love it! It's so simple really - it's all in plain stitch and would have been a doddle for my grandma who knitted some amazingly complicated garments - but to snuggle under it while watching tv is just lovely and takes me straight back to snuggling under it at eight, in my bedroom at home.

Do you have anything like this, made by a family member for you in childhood?

3 comments:

Pina said...

I do. An embroidered tablecloth made by my grandmom. I have never used it, though. Maybe I should post a photo of it on my blog some day...

T. said...

My Grandma used to make these blankets, too. My Mother gave it all away after her death, so -no, I have nothing left but memories...

Feronia said...

@ Pina -

It would be lovely to see it!

@ Sefarina -

That's the thing with objects like this - they do hold so many memories - sometimes too many, so you maybe can't keep the item close to you.