Friday, August 19, 2011

In Praise of Grannies

It may be getting warmer (slowly) and in fact in sounds like we have a pretty lovely weekend on the way weather-wise but cosy, warm dishes are still on our food agenda. Last night I made the Sweetcorn Chowder from Natalie Oldfield's Gran's Family Table. I love the concept of this book - recipes inspired and collected from her gran, Dulcie May Booker. You can find out more here - http://www.dulciemaykitchen.com/ There are a number of recipe books around our house which belonged to my Grandma - some even handwritten - and they are really precious to me.

The chowder was good - and there's enough left over for lunch (yay!) - but I'm not sure that this photo quite does it justice. If I was a food stylist I'm sure I would have at least wiped around the edge of the bowl!

50g butter
4 small sized onions, diced (I used two)
4 medium sized potatoes
4 tomatoes, diced (I used one fresh tomato and a can of tomatoes)
800g creamed corn
1 litre chicken stock

Melt butter into large saucepan. Add onions and fry for about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add corn and stock. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.

Serves 6-8.

I think the sausage pie might be my next venture from this book. Mmmmm! Have a lovely weekend.

No comments: