Friday, January 13, 2012

Some Days are Diamonds

I've had a bit of a funny week. While it started off very well with a great short course at Writers Victoria, the next couple of days were consumed by some considerable professional disappointment. But I am starting to feel better now and a little more 'on track'. This is due to a combination of -

1. When it first happened, swearing quite a lot for a couple of minutes to no-one in particular in the privacy of my own home
2. Calming down and talking things through with my sweet, sweet husband and dear mum
3. Sleeping on it
4. Cleaning up my study so I was not a) surrounded by clutter b) surrounded by stuff to remind me about what had just bombed out
5. Having a little bit of good old-fashioned sulking time while I was on my own (just a little bit, though)
6. Finding stuff to make me laugh
7. Getting stuck into a new work project
8. Making the best bread and butter pudding ever (so good I'm going to make it again for my parents tonight)

What do you do when you've been through one of life's knocks?

Easy Bread and Butter Pudding

6-8 slices bread, crusts removed
3 eggs
3 tablespoons caster sugar
300 ml cream
Apricot jam
Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Spread the bread with apricot jam and sprinkle with cinnamon
Cut into triangles and arrange in greased oven-proof dish
Whisk together eggs, sugar and cream
Pour over the bread and bake for 25 minutes

This recipe is from http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/ I used fruit bread instead of plain bread, I didn't cut the crusts off or cut the slices into triangles and apparently any jam is fine (doesn't have to be apricot).

As a character in one of the hilarious You Tube comedy clips I've been watching would say - "So good, right?"

3 comments:

Bodecea said...

I have not seen this post before (something wrong with my feedreader under Ubuntu controll?!) so late words of comfort! As I wrote you in my mail - sometimes a disappointment are a chance - yes I hate it too if someone says this to me when I am upset, nevertheless it is often right.

Best
Bodecea

Bodecea said...

BTW - I have to try this baked pudding. I know this English puddings, but for Germans this is strange - pudding is something different here:
http://www.oetker.de/oetker/file/chapterimages/pudding-ohne-sosse.jpg

What do I do when extremly dissappointed? Scream, cry, drink and watch a funny movie.

Feronia said...

Thanks Bodecea :) Yes, at the risk of sounding cliched, everything happens for a reason. Do try the pudding it's so easy. And I understand 'Pudding' as being either hot or cold. Love the look of the Dr Oetker one!